[OT] Smartd: Worth the effort?

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Sun Aug 29 02:56:13 UTC 2004

On Saturday 2004-08-28 14:12, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> 80G drive[s ] were just showing up on the seen

well, whether things were "on the scene" or "on the screen", they were
NOT "on the seen".

> Shouldn't I have had _some_ notification?

There is only one valid "should":
"there should be no shoulds".

> Isn't this what smartd was designed to identify?

SMARTd doesn't identify anything.
It only reports what the firmware in the drive identifies.

If you had a SCSI drive, it's no surprise...
SMART wasn't as developed on them historically.
On any kind of OLD drive, SMART was not as smart as SMART is today.

In my experience, mostly with SCSI drives, they always were smart enough
to whine loudly before failure: of the spindle bearings... reaching
rotational failure before any other kind of failure... and I was smart
enough to heed the warning and replace the drive before it became
unreadable.

Now can we please get back on topic?

--
Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are