cracking winmodem issues in FC2

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Aug 29 03:26:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Gabriel Mititica wrote:

> > Did you run "make install" as root after running
> make  > to compile the drivers?  Do you have the
> device file   > /dev/slamr0?  (What is the output of
> "ls             > /dev/slamr*"?) The "make install"
> creates that       > device.  You need for it to exist
> before you start   > loading stuff.  (This is all in
> the README file.)
>
> ls -l /dev/slamr*
>
> crw-------  1 root root 212, 0 Aug 15 09:29
> /dev/slamr0
> crw-------  1 root root 212, 1 Aug 15 09:29
> /dev/slamr1
> crw-------  1 root root 212, 2 Aug 15 09:29
> /dev/slamr2
> crw-------  1 root root 212, 3 Aug 15 09:29
> /dev/slamr3
>
> I read the README
>
> > If that is done, then you should be able to
> "modprobe > slamr".  If that works then you can start
> "slmodemd  > --country=whatever /dev/slamr0"
>
> Did these steps as well hundreds of times Previous
> posts are giving the results.
>
> > Try the above and let us know at what point it
> > breaks.
>
> I would say at
>
> error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slamr0': No
> such device error: cannot setup device `/dev/slamr0'
>
> when firing up slmodemd, after loading the slamr
> module

At this point, it seems clear that slmodemd cannot communicate with the
slamr driver, or the slamr drver can't communicate with the device.

There used to be a FAQ file with earlier versions of the driver that
discussed criver parameters and some troubleshooting hints, but it doesn't
seem to be in the current release for some reason.

> with minicom altough i was typing what i mentioned
> before, i didn't get on the screed anything but
> initializing modem box and a blank screen after.

So minicom isn't talking to the device.  Given the above, that's not a
surprise.

> Regards and thanks again.
> Gabriel
>
> PS: I know that the AC'97 works fine. I have it on a
> Dell laptop and modem is running without a glitch.

In that case, if there's no ALSA module for your modem and slamr isn't
working, then I'm out of ideas.  You can try linux-support at smlink.com or
the linmodems.org mailing list.

Good luck.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu