advansys scsi == ouch

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 29 06:09:49 UTC 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 23:07, John McBride wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>Maybe something like 'an operating system that changes the driver
>>>api's yearly will never catch on'?
>>
>>Probably not.  But I find it strange that no one has pointed out
>> that advansys themselves have been no more for what, 5 years now?
>> To expect a company to support their product 5 years after their
>> demise in the inevitable silicon valley money laundering is a bit
>> unrealistic.
>
>Well I did mention they have been sold twice in four years. They
>currently go by the name of "initio.com", which has the drivers
>available for download and the cards for sale online.

I was aware of that last sale that you quoted, but the last time I
tried to access the site, prolly at least 6 months ago, it wasn't
even a registered name.  But I see it appears to be active now, and I
grabbed a copy of what I think is the same 3.3g version that was in
the kernel a couple of years ago.  So basicly, the kernel included
version is slightly newer.

I have an ABP-940U, and AFAIAC, its a great card.  They did everything
right hardware wise.  But that driver is a bowl of spagetti!  Now if
I could just find a decently priced tape drive to replace all the
seagate changers in various states of mostly worn out I have laying
around here,  I'd go back to running amanda every night again.

>---
>John
>
>PS: interesting bit about the technical superiority. I bet there are
>some amazing stories about PCI and ISA bus nightmares floating
> around in the hardware circles.

No doubt.  I have a few more of them myself that I won't bore the list
with.  Not all were nightmares though. :-)
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)