sshd

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 29 16:33:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 12:20, Tom Conway wrote:
> Been using rh8 as a server for a whilenow, just installed core2 and cannot
> get ssh to work from a windows client. I cannot ping or be pinged (maybe
> firewall)
>
> I get an error in secure log
> "Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use."
> Only sshd is listening on port 22
>
> I added ALL:ALL to hosts.allow
> Removed the gid < 100 from pam.d system-auth
> Nothing seems to work.
>
> Everything else seems to be fine, it should work.
> I know it's something simple
> help please!
>
> -Tom

Did you check the settings you are using for iptables?

Run:

service iptables status

That should list if you have iptables running and if you do what the
rules are that are in place.

Most likely if you have the default iptables rules ssh is blocked.  You
can either edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables and add rules manually or use
system-config-securitylevel to allow ssh through.

As a quick test you can disable iptables with:

service iptables stop

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

All that glitters is not gold; all that wander are not lost.