Atapi CD-RW problem (ide-scsi)

Kristian André Gallis kagallis at online.no
Sun Aug 29 20:12:14 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 16:16, Kristian André Gallis wrote:
>>I was going to burn my first CD with cdrecord on Fedora 2. But that
>>didn't work. I had a problem when I used Fedora 1 aswell, but then I
>>just followed a how-to in the Red Hat Linux Fedora bible to configure
>>the IDE CD-ROM for recording.
>>
>>Then I got into trouble, because this how-to is for kernel 2.4 and I
>>have 2.6.8. I didn't think of this and just tried to follow it step by
>>step. The result was that cdrecord does still not work, and now _I'm not
>>able to read CDs anymore!_
>>
>>The things I have done (run) is:
>>
>>[root at localhost /]# modprobe -a ide-scsi
>

> You don't need ide-scsi to burn CDs on 2.6 kernels.

Yes, I discovered this when I searched the web for solutions.

>>[root at localhost dev]# rm cdrom
>>[root at localhost dev]# ln -s scd0 cdrom
>>
>>How can I revert to the original configuration? So I at least am able to
>>read CDs?
>

> rm /dev/cdrom
> ln -s hdc /dev/cdrom

Thanks. I actually tried this, but it didn't work. But after a reboot it
did. So now I'm reading (and burning) CDs without problems!

> Also bear in mind that you'll need to be root to burn CDs with a 2.6.8
> kernel.

Strange. But it is my own computer so that doesn't matter.

Thanks for all other input aswell. I like this list. High volume, but it
is very handy for a new Linux user like me. I have found answers to
several problems without having to ask.

Kristian André    	http://gallis.com/kag/