[OT] Smartd: Worth the effort?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sun Aug 29 20:29:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 11:57, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >     Just thinking out loud...as I run "chkconfig smartd off"...
>
> I'm surprised it worked at all on a drive that old but if
> you don't take a logfile entry about a change as a warning
> what do you expect?

    I expect it's the same byte that changes every night, keeping a
running count of hours it's been powered on.  Ya see, if it's throwing
data at you in small doses for several years, and it's not tied to any
'real' meaning, it's worthless.

    The idea is a good one; being able to track the hours-in-use for
example, lets you know just how 'old' it is in operation hours, not just
the date on the sticker, and that's important.

    There seems to be a couple of changes to smartd lately (as I would
expect of open-source) but in several years, this is the ONE thing I
would have thought it would have reported...for real...not just a
nightly mention of a trivial counter.  Especially since I've been
running it since RH 7.*.

    Ya know what I mean?  That's where the indignation comes from.
Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller