installation problem

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 22:32:00 UTC 2004

nina wrote:
> I downloaded and copied FC2 cds. I successfully install them on my first
> system. Today, when I tried to install to another 400Mhz system, I had
> problem. After reboot from cdrom drive, it chose English language, us
> keyboard, local cdrom then it popup the dialog saying that Fedora Core
> cd can not be found. Anybody had encountered the problem?.

Alexander's given you some good advice.

It could be that the media and the drive "don't really like each other",
too. If it's a 400 MHz system, it's pretty old, and CD drives to get
more pernickety with age.

Can you verify the CD on this system?

Does the CD spin down between booting and looking for the CD? Some
drives won't detect a CD in some modes if they're allowed to spin down.

How fast is the CD drive, anyway? Was it new when the PC was new, or is
it older?

Can you try new media?

What sort of motherboard is it? How is the CD attached (is it to the
secondary port on the motherboard, or is there some alternative disk
controller involved)?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Telsa ruthlessly depopulates the cuddly toy pile.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | There is only room for so many penguins in any one