[OT] Smartd: Worth the effort?

Angela Kahealani angela at kahealani.com
Mon Aug 30 02:03:27 UTC 2004

On Sunday 2004-08-29 11:57, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 15:46, Ben Steeves wrote:
> > smartd is just an interface to the SMART capabilities of the drive.
> > Smartd can't tell you your drive is going to fail if the drive
> > isn't capable of detecting the problem.
>
>     Sure, it won't have a gui, something to ring a cellpone with the
> message or anything,

My system does... it sends an SMS (short message service) text message
to my cellphone... because in /etc/aliases everything aliases to root,
which itself is aliased to both my local user account, and to the e-mail
portal my cellphone service provider offers as a gateway from e-mail to
SMS to my telephone. So... when smartd or apcupsd generate an alarm
e-mail I get the first 100some odd characters of that e-mail as a text
message on my cellphone.

--
Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are