samba share/printer problem

Lorn Miller ldmiller at flablader.no-ip.org
Mon Aug 30 02:24:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 16:01, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> From: Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>
> To: Fedora List <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: samba share/printer problem
> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:21:32 -0400
>
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 14:10, Lorn Miller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >    My problem is this:  I am trying to share a printer with a windows xp
> > box using samba.  The xp machine is only able to see my printer (or my
> > samba share) if I drop my firewall.  Since I am running an http server,
> > I don't want to drop my firewall.
> >    Even with the firewall down, however, all the xp box can do is see
> > the printer.  Windows XP is unable to access the printer, the error is
> > "Access Denied, unable to connect."
> >    I have a share set up as read only, and that appears to work.  I have
> > a share set up as read/write, but when I try to write from the xp box, I
> > get another access denied.

> > 	can't write to samba shares
> > 	can't print to samba shared printer
>
> To see samba shares with the firewall up you will need to open the
> following ports:
>
> 137 udp
> 138 udp
> 139 tcp
> 445 tcp
>
> You can do this by adding entries in /etc/sysconfig/iptables or using
> system-config-securitylevel and adding these ports to the area at the
> bottom of the GUI.
>
> On the second problem, if you have not already make sure you use
> smbpasswd -a username to add a user to the samba system that has
> permissions for the shares.
>
> This may also be the issue with the printer.
>
> On another note you may want to look at using something other than samba
> to share the printer on your linux system.  I believe windows will let
> you use lpr or lpd to access networked printers.  I believe there was a
> thread on the list here a few weeks ago regarding how to set this up.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid at cfl.rr.com
>
> Underlying Principle of Socio-Genetics:
> 	Superiority is recessive.

I've opened up those ports on in the firewall.  That did the trick for
the firewall.  I've also discovered why I did not have write access, I
was trying to have samba write to a directory as nobody without the
appropriate permissions.

I still get "Access denied, unable to connect" on the printer.  I'm not
entirely certain I've got the print queue set up correctly.  The printer
is connected via USB and I'm printing through CUPS.  I'd like to print
through samba if possible, but I will browse through the archives
looking for lpr and lpd network printing with Windows XP.

This may be a noob question, but how do I get generic information (such
as where the print queue is located) about the printer?

Thanks again for the help

ldmiller at flablader.no-ip.org