Changing a CD drive to a new DVD/CD drive.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 02:32:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 22:18, Bill Tetens wrote:
> I want to change out the drive on my linux box running FC2. What steps
> will I need to take to get the new drive operational. With windows it
> was no problem but don't have the knowledge about linux yet but I am
> getting there.
>
> Thanks

For the most part you should just replace the drive and reboot.  Kudzu
should recognize the change and prompt you if you want to remove the old
driver (say yes) then prompt you to add/configure the new drive (say
yes).

You may want to try and verify if the drive you have chosen is directly
supported or needs any special drivers.  However for these type of
drives I don't think you will have much problem.

I have taken the harddrive from one linux system and installed it in a
system with a different motherboard.  When I booted the system removed a
bunch of stuff and added the new items for that system.  Have done this
several times.  The only problem I encountered was the system did not
update the xorg.conf correctly for the new video chip set.  In this case
the new mother board had a SIS type chip set.  I logged in in text mode
and edited the xorg.conf file with the correct information and
rebooted.  Everything then worked just fine.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Hitchcock's Staple Principle:
	The stapler runs out of staples only while you are trying to
	staple something.