Bad SATA (Sil 3112A) performance with kernel 2.6.8

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 30 12:21:07 UTC 2004

I did the following:
	hdparm -d /dev/sda
and got:
>>/dev/sda:
>>  operation not supported on SCSI disks
>>
>>I noticed that hdparm is not really very useful on SCSI disks. What'd be
>>its equivalent for SCSI?
>>
>>//Andro
>>

> hdparm works for me on scsi.  FC2 and fully updated.

Mine is fully updated too. Anyway:

[andrei at brie andrei]$ rpm -qi hdparm
Name        : hdparm                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.5                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Thu 19 Feb 2004
11:43:15 AM EET
Install Date: Wed 19 May 2004 09:30:54 PM EEST      Build Host:
tweety.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM: hdparm-5.5-1.src.rpm
Size        : 62903                            License: BSD
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 07 May 2004 02:10:23 AM EEST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A utility for displaying and/or setting hard disk parameters.
Description :
Hdparm is a useful system utility for setting (E)IDE hard drive
parameters. For example, hdparm can be used to tweak hard drive
performance and to spin down hard drives for power conservation.

how about at your box? Probably it has to do a lot with the controller
(sil 3112A) and the drive itself (seagate)

//Andro