8139too config problems

H.B.,Jun junc at magicn.com
Mon Aug 30 13:51:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

I met same problem like you in this spring and solved the problem with a simple trick as following:

I modified an entry related with 8139too module(device name is pcnet_cs) in '/etc/pcmcia/config' because of I guessed that the card service(cs) accepts first-matched(or default) class('pcnet_cs') than ‘8139too’ while booting.

---

device "pcnet_cs"
  class "network" module "pcnet_cs", "net/8390", "8139too"

---

Therefore, I manually modified '/etc/pcmcia/config' file like this:

---

 device "pcnet_cs"
  class "network" module "8139too", "net/8390", "pcnet_cs"

---

After that, ‘modprobe’ or ‘insmod’ etc., then reboot. Now the service, ‘cs’, would accept ‘8139too’ class than ‘pcnet_cs’ class for ‘pcnet_cs’ devices properly. Honestly, I don’t know why, but it seems to be specific problem with some 8139C-type devices.

(Beware this solution couldn't be acceptable with some devices.)

Good luck,

J.H.B.