Running Linux on a flash drive

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Mon Aug 30 19:01:18 UTC 2004

I am working on making Linux (FC2) run on a flash disk.

To avoid the write-cycle limits on the flash it must be configured without a
swap drive and remove any extraneous logging. I have eliminated the swap
partition, however I am not sure what logs are created and how to eliminate
them or direct them to /dev/nul. The objective is not to beat the flash to
death since there is a 1 million write cycle limit.

I am also trying to make the kernel static, w/o modules, to keep the speed
up as the flash is slow. Here my attempts have been less that acceptable. I
constantly get errors on the build and can't seem to eliminate all the
modules.

Finally, to use some sort of sleep mode to avoid the re-boot delay on the
re-application of power. Once developed the system will not ever see any
different configuration. Here I can't find much information on how to do
this.

Any pointers on any of these subjects will be greatly appreciated. If not
already done, I will gladly post a HOW-TO when done.

Mike