Absolute Beginner

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Aug 30 19:50:17 UTC 2004

On Monday, Aug 30th 2004 at 19:24 +0100, quoth Paul:

=>I'm keen to start using an alternative to Windows and have installed
=>Fedora Core 1 to a second hard drive.  It looks to be an exciting
=>prospect, however I could do with some beginners help.  I am unsure, at
=>the moment, as to how I can install further programmes from a CD.  Are
=>there any tutorials for Fedora that I could see ?
=>I eagerly await your assistance !
=>Thanks Paul

If you have a cd that contains rpms then insert the cd into your cdrom and
say

mount /mnt/cdrom

That will mount the cd as a filesystem. You can see what's mounted via

df -h

>From there you can cd to /mnt and explore a bit. Hopefully you will find
some files that end in either .noarch.rpm or .i386.rpm

You can install the foo package via

rpm -Uvh foo-1.2-3.i386.rpm

Of course there's a lot here that I'm not telling you because you didn't
ask yet. ;-)

And don't forget to say man rpm

steveo at syslang.net