Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 20:13:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 15:46, Marc Williams wrote:

> Well wha'dyaknow?  I apparently stumbled upon the answer to
> my problem. I inserted: "domain master = yes" into smb.conf on the Samba
> server and things just started working.  Here is my entire, working,
> smb.conf:

So all FC2 systems have to be configured as domain masters?  I thought
that was for setting up a sever as a PDC.

> (I also added password syncing but that has nothing to do with things).
> This is for a stand alone machine hosting its own workgroup and the Unix
> users. I restarted the smb service a half dozen times and each time I was
> able to browse the workgroup and shares within a few seconds.
>
> I also discovered that Nautilus is a little flakey.  There were times I
> would receive the "Sorry, couldn't display..." error message and just
> clicking "reload" would then finish bringing up that window.  I actually
> went out and got another smb browser that exhibits none of this flakiness.
>  It's a little KDE app called Smb4k.  Rather nice.  (Aside: this is the
>  second kde app I like better than any Gnome counterpart.  The other being
> K3B for CD burning.)
>
> So it would seem that my Samba troubles are history, knock on wood.

Was this working correctly when you had iptables active with that set of
ports cut through?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Physician:  One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well.
-- Ambrose Bierce