fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 362

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Tue Aug 31 16:03:19 UTC 2004

On 08/31/2004 06:48 AM, Rik Blacketer wrote:

>Hi
>
>Its a Sony VAIO PCG FR102. The soundcard detected is: VIA Technologies,
>VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller. Module: snd-via82xx
>
>I get sound, but it sounds like it plays a clip, and it freezes and
>repeats forever, so im guessing the driver is nearly there but not quite
>right.
>
>I run the GNOME soundcard detection facility, which yes i do believe
>runs system-config-soundcard.
>
>I made a note of everything about the soundcard from windows, but i
>didnt want to put it all in last message as i dont want to insult, not
>sure what info i need! Your welcome to it if you think it might help.
>

>Rik.

Rik, I can tell you're responding to your issue regarding "Sound & DVD
in Fedora Core 2," but rather than replying to one of the replies to
your original posting, you've replied to a fedora-list digest. This
creates a minor problem for other people reading the list--let me explain.

Many of us on the Fedora list read messages in Threads, so that messages
on similar subjects stay together in a hierarchical format (you can try
this in Evolution--unfortunately I don't know the exact option). When
you replied to the digest instead, it took your reply out of the
original thread. People who read the list in threads will not see your
reply in its proper context and will think that you have not sent the
requested information. So it makes it a little harder for people who
know the answer to your question to help out.

To keep messages in threads,

1) for a new subject, always create a new message to the below list
address (you did that part properly, don't worry)
2) for a reply on the same subject, always reply directly to the message
you're answering, rather than creating a new message or replying to some
other message (this is the part you did incorrectly).

This is usually good etiquette for any list, but especially for
high-volume lists like this one.

Another minor mistake you've made is to remove the original posting from
your reply. When you reply to a message, always bottom-post (that is,
put your addition at the bottom of the message), and leave the relevant
portions of the preceding message(s) at the top (it's polite to snip out
extraneous/irrelevant stuff to keep the message short, but leave in
enough for someone to figure out what's going on). That way it's easier
for someone to catch up with the discussion after having missed the
original postings.

So, after all that I have to apologize for correcting your etiquette but
not supplying any answers. I'm clueless about sound, myself :-). Welcome
to the list!

Thanks,
Matt