description of fedora core 2 device driver disks and how to roll your own?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Tue Aug 31 17:23:42 UTC 2004

I am trying to put together a fedora core 2 device driver disk (version
1 if possible) for hardware where the vendor does not yet have updated
driver disks for fedora.

I have a Highpoint Technology RocketRaid 1640 Sata and need to make a
driver disk for the fc2 2.6.x kernel as well as some fc2 2.6.x
customised kernel.

Sofar I only have the following pieces of info.

Does anybody know where someone might have already done the work of
scripting the process or at least documenting the steps required?

The excellent but outdated devel kit by Doug Ledford

http://people.redhat.com/dledford/

Some description of the process by a user that needed a firewire driver
for FC2:

http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/snapshots/FC2-firewire/0README

and two very short but related articles explaining the old redhat way of
doing driver disks and the difference between the older redhat and the
newer fedora driver disks.

http://faq.linux.cz/pracovni/driver-disk-howto

http://www.wormgoor.com/print.php?sid=68

This is as much as I have to date. But surely somebody out there has
already coded/scripted a framework to ease this task? My 3 specific
questions are:

1. any official (or other) document describing the format of the version
1 driver disks (for fedora 2.6.x kernels)?

2. any texts giving the instructions on how to roll your own device
driver disk (for fedora 2.6.x kernels)?

3. any scripts or frameworks that are already written to do this
creation of a version 1 device driver disk (for fedora 2.6.x kernels)?

Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated. I am also just starting to
look at the Dell dkms project http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml ,
thanks Doug for the hint.

--
Urs Rau

Head of IT
Operation Mobilisation UK

PS: The specific hardware I am looking at is
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/brr1640.htm