Possible bug with ntpd and Iptables

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 19:41:35 UTC 2004

I have noticed an anomaly with iptables and ntpd.  During boot ntpd
opens up some ports in the firewall.

If you stop and start iptables these ports are no longer open.  I
believe this would mean that ntp would stop working as expected.

I have not noticed any issues with the clock not tracking but it could
be a problem particularly for sites running certain authentication
packages which require time on the systems to be synchronized closely.

It also seems that if ntp requires ports to be open then they should be
configured in the normal /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.

Should this be reported in bugzilla or is there a logical reason things
are setup this way?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Q:	What do Winnie the Pooh and John the Baptist have in common?
A:	The same middle name.