Possible bug with ntpd and Iptables

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 20:22:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:04, Yang Xiao wrote:

> The port is opened by the /etc/init.d/ntp script, this means you need
> to restart ntp after you restart iptables.
>
> Yang

I understand where ntp opens the ports.  But if you don't realize that
this is happening and you restart iptables for some reason without
restarting ntp then the ports are closed.

This seems like a poor way to do things.  What happens when another
application is configured like ntp and you now have to remember to
restart several applications just because the ports were closed when you
did some testing or modified your iptables rules?  Plus it could become
difficult to track down all the scripts that modify your iptables rule
set.

I think ntp is the only one that does this currently.  Should this not
be moved to the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file and taken out of the ntp
startup scripts?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

We are all so much together and yet we are all dying of loneliness.
		-- A. Schweitzer