How Can I Improve Linux Speed

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Tue Aug 31 20:28:03 UTC 2004

Donald,

	The first thing that comes to mind is that of using a lightweight windowing
system such as XFce, there are rpms available for FC2 all over the place.

	Secondly, what sort of installation did you chose ? Laptop, Workstation etc
etc, that makes a difference, make sure that you have all services that you
don't use turned off, such as Sendmail, SQL servers etc etc.

	I guess that the other thing that you could do is make some hardware
improvements if you can. This means more RAM ! but before you go down that route
try XFce and turning off services that you don't need. I don't know your
experience level with Linux but you can also chuck packages that you don't think
that you would use off the laptop. I suggest this as the last last last resort.

	So your friends at the moment would be the rpm command, serviceconf in the very
least and ps -ef for finding out what you are running.

	Cheers,

	Aly.

--
Aly Dharshi