How Can I Improve Linux Speed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Aug 31 22:52:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 15:04, Donald_Sass at gov.nt.ca wrote:
> In order to acquire some self education and to experiment with Linux, I
> loaded the Gnome 2.0  Fedora Linux release onto an old 200Mhz 64K
> laptop. The laptop previously had Windows 2K installed.
>
> The laptop performed reasonably using W2k and it was an acceptable
> machine for small applications (spreadsheet, word processing, etc). The
> Fedora Linux O/S is very slow, it is unusable for any application.
>
> Is there something wrong, should Fedora be as fast as W2K?

IIRC Fedora Core 2 has 128mb memory listed as a requirement, and in many
cases people here have said they were unable to even install with less
memory.

Many have said they have it working with 64mb, but AFAIK they are using
it as server and not running X on the machine.

With less than the recommended memory I would expect it to seem slow,
especially if running several memory hungry apps.