dag: would you please pick up the kernel-module-nvidia packages if you can ...

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 2 16:01:04 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 12/01/2004 10:41:20 PM, Leif Schaffner wrote:
>

>> I will -never- purchase another motherboard with (proprietary) nvidia
>> hardware again.  Just my personal opinion (& bias).
>>
>> YMMV.
>

> I've been happy with the nforce2 board I have - but I am seriously
> considering getting an ATI Radeon 8500-9250 (I think that is the range)
> that have working OSS 3D drivers. Just for tuxracer.
>
> Though I think to be fair - there are only working OSS drivers for
> those cards because of reverse engineering. Too bad 3dfx didn't make it : (

There are reports of ATI cards not liking nforce2 boards.

I had an ATI 9600 and dumped it for nVidia.  I haven't tried the
latest kernel and driver yet.  I found nVidia was much more supportive
the Linux than ATI.  But as you state, it is reversed engineered.

I never got tux racer to run with my ATI.  :(
--
Robin Laing