dovecot mailserver, switching from mbox to maildir

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Dec 2 17:15:27 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-12-02 02:36, Götz Reinicke whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> Thomas Cameron wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 08:48 +0100, Götz Reinicke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after switching from wu-imap to dovecot I had a couple of problems.
>>> After accepting some of the problems as given, I found some hints,
>>> telling me to move my system from using mbox to maildir.
>>>
>>> So how to do that?
>>>
>>> What software has to be configured? Sendmail? Procmail?
>>>
>>> How to migrate mboxes do maildir?
>>>
>>> Any hints would be fine!
>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=convert+mbox+maildir
>

> this is a good one. Ok. I should have been more precise. :-) googling
> takes a long time to find and sort the information and the hints I got
> are from google.
>
> So my question:
>
> Has anybody switched a system from mbox to maildir? If so, whitch
> steps are necessary?
>

> regards
>
> götz reinicke

Look at:
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/
and download the script.

Note that after converting your mbox, you will also have to configure
dovecot to use the maildir format for future messages.  Probably, you
want to do all this with dovecot stopped. :-)

--
Fritz Whittington
There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have. (Don Herold)