X server Keeps crashing. (rhgb 815 video)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 17:44:03 UTC 2004

Derek Tattersall wrote:
> I am trying to install FC3 on a Sony PCG-SRX77 laptop, and I cannot get
> the X window system to work. I had Redhat 8.2 on it, and it worked fine.
>
> The graphics chip claims to be an Intel 815.
>
> I managed to get through the first part of the install process by using
> the text based install, but when that finishes, and the laptop reboots
> to complete the install process, I just get junk on the screen and
> sometimes  everything hangs, sometimes the X server seems to be going
> through a continuous process of starting and crashing and writing junk
> on the screen.
>

> Can anyone suggest a way to get this to work?

Refer to this bug report for information on adding Option "Noaccel" to
xorg.conf file. The problem that you are seeing is due to breakage for
the i810 driver, which is used by your card.

After upgrading to the latest xorg-x11 version, maybe the option would
not be needed and can be removed. It worked on a system that I have and
even seems to be a better driver than it was previously.

I just posted a question regarding the upgrades to xorg-x11. If you can
report your experience, it would be helpful to confirm or argue against
the latest version removing the horrible refresh problem for this chipset.

Jim

> I think this would sort of work if I could force the FC3 install process
> to use the VESA X-server. Is there a way to tell the installer and the X
> configure process to do that?

The vesa driver only shows diagonal lines on my system. I don't know if
it would work at all for the 815 video card.

> Sorry for the somewhat imprecise problem description, but this isn't
> even getting far enough for me to get at any logs or error message.

Try booting into runlevel 3 and start x using startx instead. There is
also a problem related to rhgb on new installs. Updates seem to resolve
the rhgb issue and *hopefully* the refresh problem as well.

Jim

--
Weinberg's First Law:
	Progress is only made on alternate Fridays.