Enterprise mail server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Dec 5 17:38:42 UTC 2004

Am So, den 05.12.2004 schrieb Chris Mason um 18:24:

> > uw-imapd is known to be dog slow when it comes to large mboxes. There
> > are too many reports about it causing much CPU occupation when
> > processing (high loads then). I encourage you to migrate to a
> > Cyrus-IMAPd (coming with FC2 and FC3) - runs impressively fast even on
> > my very old and weak AMD K6-3 450 MHz, handling 1,5 GB mail -, keeping
> > Sendmail. I can not say how well SquirrelMail as a webmailer is
> > performing.
>
> That seems to be the concensus. How do you do user authentication with
> Cyrus, can I interface to pam? I don’t want the users to have to have two
> passwords to change.

Yes, PAM can be used. Authentication is done by SASLv2 thus the
saslauthd. The default configuration auths against the system's shadow
file which is with default PAM setup the same as using saslauthd -> PAM.

> The web interface is not the problem, it is IMAP that is very slow.

Ok, then switch the IMAP server as soon as possible. dovecot could be a
valid candidate too. It has either capability to use mbox format which
would allow you to keep the current mail in the mboxes - along with
indexing it is fast too - and it can handle Maildir too. dovecot comes
with FC2 and FC3 as well and is easier to setup.

> Cost is not a problem, provided it is reasonable. I can budget $1,000 for a
> 35 user solution that gives me speed and ease of use with groupware
> features. I would love to implement a complete groupware solution such as
> groupwise, but I don’t know enough about the iptfalls, advantages, etc and
> reading the spiels from the vendors just gives me a headache. It’s a shame
> no-one will tell you what you want to know without the stream of verbiage
> promising eternal happiness if you buy from them.

The usual marketing games ;) Give a marketing guy a buzzword and he will
claim you can fly to Mars using product XY.

Maybe a good strategy is to write down your own a list of needs and
nice-to-have features. Then compare that list with the feature lists of
the products. Each has pros and cons. A general answer is hard to give
if not knowing all details about the specific environment, current needs
and future plans.

> Chris

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:28:37 up 1 day, 7:46, load average: 1.23, 0.52, 0.29