Compat Libraries (was Re: libcurl.so.2)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Dec 8 00:59:55 UTC 2004

Cross posted (from fedora users to fedora-devel ... maybe we need a
fedora-philosophy list ? ;)

On 12/07/2004 12:34:23 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>> http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/Mirroring/compat-libcurl-7.11.2-2.i386.rpm
>
> I'd kind of expect this RPM to be part of FC3 distro, but it wasn't.

I agree.
I've had to package a couple compat libraries myself (libgal2 and
libgtkhtml3) as software I needed refused to compile against the fc3
(gnome 2.8) versions, but did fine against the fc2 (gnome 2.6)
versions.

I'm not sure they should be installed by default on a fc3 system -
compat-libstdc++ does because fc3 ships with software that wants it (I
think OO.o) - but what would be *nice* is if a fedora-compat repository
were somewhat maintained that included binary compat shared libraries
for cases such as these, where a third party package wants an older
version of a shared library.

They could be autofetched by yum, install side by side with the fc3
versions, and make use of shared libraries a little friendlier to third
party commercial packagers who don't update their binary software as
often as fedora core gets updated.

Maybe "Fedora Extras" is the right place for these packages, but I
don't know, packages in "Extras" should link against current shared
libraries, and extras maintaining compat-* packages may result in some
maintainers using those instead of rebuilding/patching when needed.

But a Fedora repository for compat packages would be sweet - even if it
only kept compat packages for one or two previous versions of fedora.

If possible, the compat packages should be built in fc3 systems and
link against current fc3 libraries themselves when they can (ie build
the compat packages on fc3)