Opinion: Evolution's days on Fedora Numbered?

Andrew Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 8 05:25:12 UTC 2004

This is just a thought I have had.  I remember reading a while back that
RH bought the rights to the old Netscape Server code.  FC3 includes Fire
Fox and Thunder Bird.  I wonder if this is an attempt to eventually wean
RH from Evolution which is now controlled by Novell.  After-all, if the
Netscape Server works well, which it seems to since it was once quite
popular, then FF and TBird, combined with the fledgling Sunbird (which
I'm sure will grow up quickly) could be another option for Linux Users,
as well as Windows users.  I think cross platform applications are
really a good thing for Browsers, Email, etc.

I searched on the develepors list for Fedora and didn't find anything to
back up this thought.  I'm sure other people have thought of this before
me.  I personally think it could be a good thing, but I'm curious to
know what other people think.

I think we might start to see a real separation between
Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian and NLD because of the potential conflict over Evo
and also over Mono.  Red Hat seems to be against Mono because of the
potential for conflict with M$.  Novell, which controls Ximian and thus
has a lot of influence on the direction of GNOME, has decided to go
after it full force.  I wonder if this could lead to an eventual split
in the GNOME community, since apps like Beagle are being written
specifically to run on top of Mono.  This is a great new technilogy that
FC can't take advantage ofm unless installed as a 3rd party rpm.  You
can bet that Evolution will eventually incorporate .NET.  Are we looking
at a split here?

--andy