Thunderbird Not Running Filters on Incoming POP

Simon Windsor simon.windsor at cornfield.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 23:45:56 UTC 2004

Cyber Source wrote:

> what is in this .forward file and where should it sit?
>
> Simon Windsor wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> After many years using Netscape Mail, Kmail, Outlook, Evolution and
>> now Thundebird I came to my senses 5 years ago and put all my filters
>> into a .forward file. No matter what mail client I use, it all
>> filtered correctly, and consistantly.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> Andrew Choens wrote:
>>
>>> I really do want to use Thunderbird.  It has a kind of fun feel to
>>> it.  But, I have one problem that has to get cleared up first.  As
>>> everyone recieving this email knows, this is a high volume list.  I
>>> have a filter to move all of the incoming mail over to a folder
>>> called Fedora.  The filter works fine, when I manually run the
>>> filters, but it does NOT run when new mail is downloaded from my pop
>>> account.  I had this with the 0.8 installed from the CD's and I'm
>>> still experiencing it with the 0.9 rpm I downloaded from Fresh
>>> RPMS.  Out of curiousity, I downloaded a binary from mozilla, and
>>> got the same problem.  So, what's wrong with my set-up?  Why won't
>>> the filters run on the incoming mail?
>>>
>>> If I can resolve this, I'll switch to Thunderbird, otherwise I guess
>>> I'm stuck with Evolution.

Hi

In your unix home directory, ie /home/user/.foward.
If a .forward is NOT present, the MTA(sendmail/exim etc) route mail
directly to the users inbox.

If a .forward file is present, the MTA(sendmail/exim etc) process the
mail according to the instructions given.

Please check google, and look for forward+filter+procmail

I actually use Exims enhanced forward files, (hint, I use EXIM as my
MTA), but it makes life so much easier.

All the best

Simon

--