How to change hostname in FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Dec 10 02:55:03 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 10.12.2004 schrieb Johnny Smith um 3:38:

> when I installed it I either missed the gui for entry
> of the desired hostname... or ?

You missed it - the choice is there during install.

> The boot up is slower than usual and I get a message
> that I don't have a proper hostname and "X" complains
> loudly.
>
> on the splash screen the hostname shows up as
> 'localhost.localdomain'

The default name.

> However when I do 'hostname newhostname' it only holds
> it til I reboot and reverts to
> localhost.localdomain....

Yes. that is the case as "hostname" does not store the changed name.

> Curiously I am unable to place anything in my
> /etc/hosts file... if I do it disappears on reboot.

Yes, the content stays. Be sure to NOT delete the localhost IP mapping
line as the comment in the hosts file clearly states.

> Could these problems be related
>
> How can I make  new hostname permanent?

Certainly a FAQ. Either run system-config-network or edit
/etc/sysconfig/network -> HOSTNAME= by hand.

> Johnny

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:52:13 up 4 days, 3:14, load average: 0.15, 0.24, 0.36