What is up with fonts in FC3????

john bray jmblin at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 01:51:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:20 -0600, Kenny Gow wrote:
> Gregory Gulik wrote:
> >
> > One of the first differences I saw when I upgraded from FC2 to FC3 was
> > when I installed it on a wide screen laptop it was very obvious there
> > was more spacing between lines than in FC2.  It's much less obvious on a
> > standard 4x3 aspect ratio screen.
> >
> > At first I thought it was just in Mozilla/Firefox but today I tried to
> > print out a document I made in OpenOffice just before upgrading and the
> > formatting was completely messed up!  I had to spend a lot of time
> > adjusting line spacings to make everything fit on a page again.  This
> > was typical of the kinds of annoying changes I saw when upgrading MS
> > Office but come on, Fedora should be better than that.
> >
> > I'd love to file a bug report but I'm not sure which component this is in?
> >
> > Can someone help me out here?
> >
> > Am I the only one getting frustrated by the goofy font changes from FC2
> > to FC3???
> >

> You're not the only one. The same fonts I used in FC2 in
> Thunderbird and Firefox look more spread out now and it's
> a lot less pleasing. I don't know what happened, but it's
> annoying and I may have to change my default fonts.....
>
> --Kenny

to add to the confusion, i've noticed that i can no longer print out pdf
files -- the courier style fonts are so large that they run over the
following characters when interspersed with other fonts on a single
line.  i >think< i can say that the same happens in web pages that i
print out.

i also notice in firefox in fc3 that i regularly have to look at a word
to determine if i'm seeing a r n sequence or a m character.  this didn't
happen in fc2.

john