[FC3] LDAP Authentication

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Sat Dec 11 10:47:03 UTC 2004

Craig White wrote:
> wow - you got this all working on FC-1 without understanding all these
> things?

I actually have a pretty good grip on LDAP -- it's been my login system
on my home network for a solid two years, and I also have it running at
my office. I wrote in because I was really frustrated that seemingly
every troubleshooting avenue I tried led me to nowhere.

Thankfully, I actually figured out the problem. First, I need to sleep
more than 5 hours in any given 48-hour period. Second "disallow
bind_anon" will successfully hide "getent passwd" results if there is no
bind dn set.

Obvious in its own not-so-obvious-when-you're-really-tired kinda way.

I should have caught that, but sometimes it's the really easy fixes that
screw you up the worst. :(

> Make life easy on yourself at first. Comment out the complexities and
> then add them back in after you get things working so you can gauge the
> effect of each change...

> comment out disallow anon_bind & security statements

I had actually done all of your suggestions with the exception of
commenting out "disallow bind_anon". It figures.

I really appreciate your willingness to help, and all of your great
suggestions. I wish I would have written sooner, because you nailed it!

The server's up so it's bedtime for me!

Aloha,
Chris