FC3 Intel i810 Sound Solution

Wayne Leutwyler wayne-leutwyler at columbus.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 13:25:02 UTC 2004

There is a sound issue with the intel i810 sound cards. On some
PC/Laptops the intel sound card will be detected, but the sound will not
play. If you do a lsmod it will show the sound card modules loaded.
There is a simple work around for this.

   1. Patch your system up to current levels.
   2. Edit the /etc/hotplug/blacklist and add this to end of file:
      snd-intel8x0m
   3. Reboot your system. run alsamixer to check the sound levels.
   4. This should solve the missing sound.

I have tested these steps on two different types of machines. It's
worked each time. Make sure you patch your system, I tried this one time
without patching and I still did not have sound. Once the system was
patched and the blacklist was updated sound worked without issue.

--
Wayne Leutwyler - RHCT, CNA
Linux Admin / DBA