hostid gives identical values on all FC machines

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Dec 15 14:39:44 UTC 2004

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> But MAC address is not bad (though, of course, anything can be forged with
> more or less effort).  Solaris generates the hostid from the MAC address
> of the primary NIC.

If we are talking about Sparc machines, the above statement is not true.
  Sparc has actual hostid stored in PROM chip.  Hostid is stored in
bytes 1, c, d and e, while MAC address is stored in bytes 2-7 of this
chip.  Byte 1 of hostid is machine type (don't touch it), and the
remaining three bytes (also called serial number) you can set to preatty
much anything you want.  Hostid command will simply read out those bytes
form PROM chip and display them on the screen.  MAC address is sometimes
set to be identical to hostid, but it can be different (not stored in
same location on the chip).  You can also set it to preatty much
anything you want (but some Sun boxes will complain if first three bytes
are not set to 08:00:20).  Don't forget to recalculate and store new
checksum into byte f, or you'll be in deep poop.

Luckily, there's port of Fedora Core for Sparc machines, which makes the
above not totally off topic ;-)