Fedora Core 3 Newbie

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:39:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:58:33 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Do, den 16.12.2004 schrieb delir!um um 22:44:
> > Broadcom 802.11g, I will try to search for support on the broadcom web
> > site. Fedora is not detecting the card ...
>
> > delir!um
>
> You will have to use the ndiswrapper (free) or driverloader ( costs some
> $) and the Windows[tm] drivers. Broadcom does not provide Linux drivers
> - Linksys cards users know well about that.
>
> Alexander

delir!um,

Unfortunately, since you are running the x86_64 version (as stated
this in another reply on the same thread), you cannot currently use
ndiswrapper or any other interface for the Windows drivers.  The
Windows drivers are 32-bit and will not work with a 64-bit kernel.  As
well, ndiswrapper will not compile cleanly in 64-bit.  I also have a
Broadcom 802.11g integrated card in my Compaq R3000Z (also an AMD64
machine).  There has been some talk of Windows x64 beta drivers for
these wireless cards.  If ndiswrapper can be modified to compile in
64-bit (should be possible), then these could *potentially* be used
with that.  Tests will need to be done to see if it will work.  Of
course, if you want to use the i386 version instead, you should be
able to get ndiswrapper to work.  But, I figure there is Windows if I
want to run a 32-bit OS.

Jonathan