Can't boot New Installation. (2nd Post )

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Dec 17 14:32:29 UTC 2004

Kevin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have met the same trouble. It is because that FC3 automatically
> mounts your ext3 partition at position /1, not / . So, GRUB can not
> continue with stage2. This always occurs when you install FC3 on
> existing / volume. Just install it again and mount the partition at /
> instead of /1 , it works.

I believe you mixed up ext[23] file system labels and mount points.  The
label will be /1 (in an pitty attempt to make labels uniq if you have an
old installation on some other partition), but the mount point for it
will be /.  Check fstab and grub.conf files, and you'll see that
reference for partition is /1, but reference for root mount point is /.