yum update problem

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 01:35:21 UTC 2004

I recommended:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Are you sure that would work?
> I would have thought I would get lots of depedemcy conflicts
> next time I said "yum upgrade"?
> (There were a fairly large number of packages updated
> at the same time as python.)

Depends. Sorry.

It depends how much has been installed that requires a specific later
version on Python.

But you should get these dependency conflicts when you try to run the
rpm -F --oldpackage commands, not when you're running yum.

So if it doesn't work, it doesn't work (but you should take a look at
what needs the later versions). If it works, you shouldn't get these
problems on the next yum upgrade.

But you are in some trouble with the rest of those rawhide packages.
They're not supposed to be relatively bugfree. And they won't
necessarily be upgraded by future FC3 updates.

On the other hand, I've found rawhide to be quite reasonable most of the
time. Check that you've got a real FC3 kernel, and a real FC3 glibc. And
you might want to check your fsck, mount, and similar packages. They're
the ones that are most likely to eat data. You would probably "get away
with it" otherwise running with a half-and-half system until you come
across a bug in a particular subsystem.

And you might find that rawhide fixes that awkward video card of
yours...

Good luck!

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Hardware simply does not work like the manual says
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | and no amount of Zen contemplation will ever make you