Linux Word Processors

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 01:19:57 UTC 2004

Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> Okay, I am beginning to see just how many apps out there are
> classified as word processors.  So, allow me to get a bit more
> specific...
>
> 1. The editor must be WYSIWYG;
>
> 2. It must be able to import to, and export from, Microsoft Word
> format without any difficulties; and,
>
> 3. It must have strong formatting abilities.  For example, when I
> mentioned "intelligent bulleting," I was referring to the ability to
> hit <TAB> and have the editor indent a paragraph and renumber the
> paragraph with the next appropriate hierarchy (i.e., I, A, 1, i, a,
> etc.).  OpenOffice and StarOffice attempt to do this, but they fail
> after the second level.
>
> Simply put, I need something where I can compose a professional
> document, with as much ease as possible, and then hand that file to a
> printer for mass publication without any retooling of the document to
> make it pretty.  I want to be able to write, and have the editor
> handle formatting correctly and cosmetically, so my concentration can
> remain on the subject matter.
>
> So, while I appreciate all of the recommendations thus far, is there
> anything out there, besides OpenOffice and Star Office, that will do
> this on Linux?  Again, no CrossOver or Wine; something that can run
> natively in Linux, please.
>
> Thanx,
> Ryan

Sorry, as you've discovered, ALL word processors for Linux fall short in
either usability or functionality. Everything you need is available,
just not packaged nicely in a single program. If you're a happy M$ Word
user, then you won't find anything compelling enough to make you go
through the effort of converting. Keep a Windows box just for running
Word and be happy,

Perhaps you should ask Adobe why Framemaker isn't available for Linux.

Regards,

John