firefox and java

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Dec 22 01:43:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 16:02 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:22:01 -0500, Claude Jones
> <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > |
> > | OK, makes sense.  The closest I could find to "firefox/plugins"
> > | was the directory /usr/lib/firefox-0.10.1.  I created a
> > | subdirectory "plugins" and put the link
> > | to /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> > | there.  I still keep getting these perplexing firefox messages
> > | (now from several webpages.)
> > |

> > You got close. Look again and see if you see
> > /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins
> > That's where you have to put the link... I just went through this.
> >
> > Claude Jones
> > Bluemont, VA, USA
> >

> Check /usr/lib and verify that you only have the one firefox
> directory.  Various repositories create directories in the form of
> "firefox" or "firefox-xx.x".  You may have Firefox installed in
> multiple locations.

I seem to have "firefox-1.0" and "firefox-0.10.1" directories
under /usr/lib although the Firefox version that's executing is 1.0.  Do
I need to uninstall anything in order to get this to work.

> If there is only the firefox-0.10.1 directory, verify that the
> symbolic links within plugins are valid:
>
> # cd /usr/lib/firefox-0.10.1/plugins
> # ls -l
>
> There should be no red-colored text present.  If there are, the link
> associated with that file is broken.  Use "find" or "locate"  to
> determine where file for broken link resides.

This may be my problem -- all the links I've created are in red.  Say
I'm in a directory like "/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32"
-- I then (as root) execute the command "ln -s
libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins".  The link appears in
the right directory but it's highlighted in red and flashing.  The only
other thing in the /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins directory is the file
(in green) "libnullplugin.so".