Joystick detection

August fusionfive at spray.se
Wed Dec 22 02:57:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 12:32 +1000, Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:52:46 +0100, August wrote
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to install my joystick (Gravis GamePad), but I can't find
> > any joystick device file (js0 etc.), so I can't run jstest. The game
> > port is enabled in BIOS and it works fine in Windows XP (dual boot).
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > August
>
> Checkout the Doc's in the /usr/src/linux-yourversion/Documentation/input/
>
> There should be a joystick.txt (And a few other joystick related files) file
> there that should guide you through the joystick configuration. I'm not sure
> if FC2 or FC3 has these same directories, but a search for 'joystick.txt'
> should help.
>
> Wolf
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

I checked the joystick.txt file, but I still can't figure out how to go
about. Section 2.1 deals with the compilation of the driver package, but
since "yum info joystick" reports that it's installed I can skip this
section, right? When I do "cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV js" I only get symbolic
links (js0, js1, js2, js3) in /dev to non-existing files in /dev/input.
Since this is quite a common task, maybe it should be added to the
Fedora FAQ (www.fedorafaq.org). My Gravis GamePad is non-usb and uses
the standard game/midi port.

--
August