Ownership

Lai Zit Seng lzs at pobox.com
Thu Dec 23 00:29:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Rick Raetz wrote:

> I have just installed Fedora 3 plus updates and as a first time user
> from Microsoft Windows, I have a little problem on installing by
> download from the Net. I follow instructions and then when I try to
> access a folder, I am unable to change permissions. I keep getting the
> message "you are not the owner and cannot change permissions"
>
> I suppose I need to understand commands more?

To change permissions of a file/directory, you'll either have to be the
owner of that file/directory or be the superuser. That's basically what
the error message is trying to tell you. You can probably find some good
tutorial off the net by searching Google (e.g. search for 'file
permissions').

Regards,

.lzs
--