No Internet after install, cannot recognize ethernet card

Lin Tse Hsu evfreek at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 20:55:54 UTC 2004

Hi.  I notice that Internet connectivity dropped after
installing FC3.  I tried manually reinstating it with
the wizard, but it failed saying that the ethernet
card is not present.  I opened the box, and indeed the
card is present.

A closer look at the boot log showed that the card was
recognized as a 3-Com 3c501.  Really, there is a
3c509B installed.  Is there anyway way to force FC3 to
recognize the card as a 3c509B, so that it does not
fail to find it later.  Apparently, the find code is
smarter than the recognize code, so there must be some
way to accomplish this.

Thanks.