MP3 playing problems (again)

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Wed Dec 29 05:42:28 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to bother you again with those mp3 problems... I guess it is a
faq already. But here's what's happening to me:
I'm trying to play a couple of mp3 files and:

1. Kaffeine or xine: starts playing then, after about 30 seconds, starts
cracking and then just freezes.
2. Kaboodle, Noatun: starts playing ok but soon starts cracking and the
play speed increases and decreases without reason.
3. XMMS: Pretends to play, but there's no sound at all.
4. Rhythmbox: Everytime I try to use it, I get the messages:
       Error: Could not pause playback
       Error (2): ALSA device "default" is already in use by another
program.
     and it never plays anything.

Has anybody had any experience with this? All the programs I'm using are
up-to-date, and my hardware is:
    - P-III 450
    - onboard Crystal CS4237B sound card.
    - Driver used is snd-CS4236, 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.6 Emulation Code)

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University