Fedora Extras is extra

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Wed Dec 1 01:02:20 UTC 2004

> Forget about these discussions and those who prefer to hang on to the
> past. These discussions are moot. RH and others currently are merging
> those packages from Fedora.US and from some other sites into what is
> supposed to become Fedora.Extras.
>
> It's up to the users to decide on using Fedora.Extra or not.

To make a decision, users need information. Especially recent users who
aren't aware of how repositories work (ie. Fedora.Extra is not
compatible with other repositories but other repositories try to be
compatible with each other).

To not inform people of that is withholding important information that
people need to maintain their system.  I hope the Fedora docs in the
future will at least be straight with users and not present Fedora.Extra
as the only way to do things in the "keeping up to date" section.

Your warning of not mixing repositories did little to educate me as to
what the situation really is, and shouldn't that be what docs do.  Why
be so one sided in your presentation.

If Fedora.Extra isn't able to reach compatibility with other
repositories, why not at least offer them a link where they can explain
the merits of using their repository or repositories (which are working
together).

After reading every post of this whole thread, I now know what my
choices are.  Do you really expect every new reader to google this
topic, read all the posts, and figure it out?
--
Shawn <javajunkie at koyuru.com>