sendmail on a laptop

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Dec 1 04:08:07 UTC 2004

I run FC2 on a laptop and I'm playing with sendmail for various reasons.
Currently I send through one of two ISPs' SMTP servers: either my web/email
hosting provider's, mail.haligonian.com, when I'm at school or my local
ISP's, smtp1.ns.sympatico.ca, when I'm at home.

I can not use the home server when I'm at school (and not on sympatico's
network), nor can I use my haligonian.com server when I'm at home (don't know
why, it just fails). This is a pain in the butt, naturally, that I have to
manually switch SMTP servers every time I move the laptop between locations.

I finally figured out how to get sendmail to send mail -- at home -- using

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp1.ns.sympatico.ca')dnl
and
MASQUERADE_AS(ns.sympatico.ca)dnl

I haven't tried this at school yet, when I have traditionially had to use
mail.haligonian.com but I'm guessing that when I'm there, sympatico will deny
me use to their servers.

Does anyone have any advice on a simple, no manual intervention way to send
email from a laptop regardless of network that I'm attached to?

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com