Adding printers to CUPS configuration

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Wed Dec 1 05:15:44 UTC 2004

I've got a Samsung ML-1710 printer that I've run under Fedora Core 1 and
  want to run under Fedora Core 3. The Samsung software is supposed to
work with CUPS, but after installing it, the cups init script fails
because printconf-backend fails. printconf-backend fails because
/usr/sbin/alternatives --display print returns something that
printconf-backend doesn't expect. This much has been noted has been
noted in bugzilla, at which point Tim Waugh, apparently the Red Hat CUPS
guy, threw up his hands.

It appears that the above chain of errors happens because Samsung adds a
version of lpr in /usr/local/linuxprinting/bin and puts a link to this
version in the normal place. OK. Rather than use the Samsung installer,
I wonder if I can install the Samsung drivers into the existing CUPS
installation.

Can someone tell me how to add the Samsung printer drivers to the CUPS
configuation? I have the .ppd files and filters from the Samsung
installation. From the very little I've been able to figure out in the
last two nights, it appears I need to get knowledge of the ppd files
into the /etc/ppds.dat file. I haven't found an explanation on how. Is
there a how-to that I haven't turned up with Google?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson