HELP SSHD crashes on startup

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Dec 1 13:07:56 UTC 2004

Alexander Apprich wrote:

> John,
>
> John Aldrich wrote:
>
>> Fresh install of Fedora Core 3 and SSH crashes on startup with the
>> following error (snipped from /var/log/secure):
>> Dec  1 05:47:53 slave1 sshd[2390]: Server listening on :: port 22.
>> Dec  1 05:47:53 slave1 sshd[2390]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
>> failed: Address already in use.
>
> Seems like you already have sshd running (as I have the same message
> and no probs logging into my box). What does

This is the same question and same answer as encountered on FC2 with the
2.6 kernel because support was added for ipv6.

sshd is starting up and listening on all ipv6 addresses, then goes to
listen on all ipv4 addresses and finds it is already doing so because
the ipv6 scope includes the ipv4 scope.
This is not a problem.  If you do not need ipv6 you may disable it and
avoid other potential pitfalls by adding the following line to
/etc/modprobe.conf:
alias net-pf-10 off

And then rebooting.  Yes, this is a rare Linux scenario where a reboot
is necessary to make a change.

If you do need ipv6 then just ignore the message.

Chris