Fedora Extras is extra

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:23:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:20:11 +0100, Dries Verachtert <dries at ulyssis.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 06:22, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> A first problem in the contributor process in my opinion: there's no
> information at all about the new 'Fedora Extras buildsystem'. The build
> system will be open source i guess, so why can't the development be a bit
> more visible/open for people who are interested? For example why not make
> those (maybe unfinished) scripts and programs available in a public cvs or
> subversion repository?

>From what I understand from post in appropriate mainglist archives
from the people working
on this issue inside Red Hat.. my understanding is the new build system Red Hat
putting together is to some extent related to the build system they have
been using internally in the past. Without knowing what the code looks
like myself, I would imagine they would have to make sure the code was
cleaned of any sensitive comments or information. So to answer as to
why there hasn't been anything seen is complicated by Red Hat internal
issues that you and I will never get a full explanation for.  Getting
a public cvs server up and running that meets Red Hat's internal
constraints has been the priority as communicated in the few posts
from the leadership into the devel mailinglist over the past months.

> Probably after some weeks/months we'll get a mail "hey it's ready" and there
> has been no input from people who will use it. Only then we'll get
> information about the possibilities and constraints of the build system. Why
> isn't this possible earlier?

Red Hat developers are using the new infrastructure as well, so to say
no input from people is stretching the truth a bit.  I doubt the
people working on this internally think the system will be perfect on
the day its open to contributors. But the decision has been made to
work out Red Hat's internal issues first... and use the result of that
internal discussion as the starting point for the contributor process.
I'm sure over time the process will be refined based on the experience
of contributors using the system. But let me stress, it is my belief
that people attempting to use the process (even if its imperfect) in
good faith will be heard more clearly than those who stand outside the
process waiting for the process to be perfect for them.

-jef