What happened to gqview

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 1 15:38:23 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> I will agree with this.  The one thing that is required for many "NEW"
>> users is the GUI and a configured yum.conf file.
>

> FC3 *does* come with a configured yum.conf file, complete with pointer
> to a mirrorlist so that everyone's not trying to download everything
> from download.fedora.redhat.com.

I meant to include other repos such as freshrpms etc.  They could be
commented out but still there.  Of course I haven't tried FC3 yet as I
haven't had the time.  Xmas project?

>> A new user file with an icon on the desktop would also be a great idea
>> with common answers such as how to get mp3 and DVD's to play on Fedora.
>

> Wouldn't that mean an official endorsement of one of the "unofficial"
> repos?

Is it an endorsement or an explanation?  Last I heard, there is
nothing illegal about talking about how to do something.  This is
something that I will have to think about.

>  > It is common for
>
>> people to keep asking the same quesitions within the lists.
>

> True; given though that so many people can't be bothered to read the
> release notes, which are prominently advertised by anaconda during the
> install/upgrade process, I suspect the same questions would continue to
> be asked.

For many new users, the release notes are more techno-babble.  They
wouldn't understand it.  Of course, many experienced users don't read
it either.  It is like a man asking for directions or using a map.  It
just isn't Macho.

Even a link on the desktop to the faq and release notes and
documentation project would be a great start.  It gives people a place
to start.

> Paul.

I look at a common denominator in dealing with computer problems and
explaining things.  How easy would it be for my mother-in-law to
understand and do.  I work with some very brilliant people but I have
been dumbfounded as to the simple things that they cannot do or
understand.  I have seen a person with multiple phd's sit at an
electric typewriter and complain that it didn't work.  It was turned off.

--
Robin Laing