switch from Mandrake to FC3

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 1 16:41:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 11:19 -0500, Qian Tan wrote:
> Dear Fedora Users:
>
> I have tried to switch from Mandrake to Fedora Core III. The
> installation runs smoothly. But when the system reboot, the Mandrake
> shown up first, then it stuck since most stuff related to it has gone.

I assume you mean the Mandrake boot loader is still present.  What have
you been specifying in the install section for bootloader configuration?

> I have tried 'remove all partition on this machine', 'remove all linux
> partition on this machine'. And reinstalled FC3 at least three times.
> 'Mandrake' always shows up first.
>
> My machine is a Dell 4600 desktop. And I only install Linux on it.
>
> Should I use the rescure mode and made some changes first? I have
> tried but have no clue what should I do.

My guess, without a more complete description, is that you need to
install GRUB on the MBR for the boot disk.  If you can boot to rescue
mode and get the Fedora installation mounted, you should be able to do

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/hda [or whatever your boot device may be]

If this fails, post again with more information on the hardware and
partition setup.

Phil