Selecting a window manager

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Wed Dec 1 17:45:43 UTC 2004

Why does Gnome (and Fedora) not have a Window Manager preference
selector?  I can kind of understand why Fedora would not distribute some
Window managers that do not comply with the things that a distributor
would like a good citizen window manager to comply with.  But surely
there is more than one good choice and hence it would be a good to allow
Users to choose alternatives to Metacity.  And to be able to add a
window manager to that chooser.  Having to simultaneously kill one WM
while starting up another on the command line seems so twentieth
century.  I have a hunch this might be as much a political issue as a
technical issue, but I could be wrong. :-)

FWIW, I've used Metacity now for a month or so, since FC3 came out, and
it is OK but I sorely miss the sawfish Moondome theme (which cannot be
done for Metacity as near as I can tell) and the "resize to max
(vertical or horizontal) and lock" operation.  Are there any FC3 users
who are still using sawfish without hassle?

-pmr